Caring for your dental implants is just like caring for your natural teeth. You maintain good care at home and visit your dental team for your routine check-ups. When it comes to implant home care, you should always keep these two things in mind: gentleness and cleanliness.
If you fail to follow the instructions of your dentist on how to take care of your new teeth properly, your implant may suffer from physical disruption and infection, resulting in treatment failure. At Dr. Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery, we will provide you with detailed homecare guidelines for your new implant so you can experience a problem-free and fast recovery.
Implant Homecare: Before and After Restoration
To ensure successful healing of implants, your homecare involves the following routine:
- Brush your teeth daily using a soft-bristled toothbrush and low-abrasive toothpaste.
- Floss your teeth gently using a dental tape in shoeshine motion.
- If your dentist recommends an interdental brush, soft picks, rubber tips and/or water irrigation, use them once or twice a day.
- Use a non-alcohol, antibacterial mouthwash added to water irrigation unit in 1:10 dilution if inflammation occurs.
Eating, Drinking and Diet After Surgery
- Drink water after implant surgery. Water keeps the body hydrated and promotes fast recovery.
- Don’t use a straw when drinking or consume hot foods and drinks.
- For 12 to 24 hours after the surgery, eat soft foods.
- You can return to your normal diet after this period unless your dentist instructs otherwise.
Oral Hygiene After Surgery
- Your dentist may prescribe a special mouth rinse to use twice a day following the procedure.
- Rinse your mouth for around 30 seconds or longer every time you use the mouth rinse.
- Use warm salt water and swish it around inside your mouth gently at least five times a day and after every meal.
- Brush your other teeth normally. However, you should take extra care around the implant area for the first few days by adopting the gentle approach.
- Maintaining a clean mouth promotes healthier and faster recovery, preventing the accumulation of bacteria and food debris that can adversely affect your implant.
Proper Maintenance for Dental Implants
As you can see, homecare for dental implants is not difficult at all. It does require being conscious of and gentle with the implant surgery site, particularly on the first days and weeks following the procedure.
For most patients, caring for your new implant restoration is the same as caring for your natural teeth. Your dentist will advise you on how often you should attend for check-ups and professional dental cleanings. If you have a removable implant-retained denture, your dental team will provide special instructions for it.
You and your dentist must work together as a team to guarantee the longevity of your restoration. While tooth replacement such as dental implants can’t get cavities, they are vulnerable to the same wear-and-tear as natural teeth. Well-placed and properly maintained dental implants can last for many years.
Comprehensive Dental Implant Homecare with Your Wantirna South Dentist
At Dr. Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery, our goal is to provide you and your family with high-quality tooth restorations to give you confidence and sound mind for decades to come. When it comes to implant dentistry and aesthetic improvements, we only utilise state-of-the-art technology and the newest techniques available. Your Wantirna South dentist will help you recover faster by giving detailed instructions and recommendations to reduce the complications and discomfort throughout your recovery phase.
We are located in Stud Road, Wantirna South, proudly serving the local community to deliver quality oral health in a professional, comfortable and convenient setting.
Wantirna South dentist also serving local communities in Knox City, Boronia, Bayswater, Scoresby, Rowville, Ferntree Gully, Vermont, Vermont South, Burwood, Burwood East, Ringwood, Ringwood East, and Wantirna.
Contact us on (03) 9800 2338 TODAY!