It’s that time of year again, and the Easter Bilby (Bunny?) is out there hiding Easter treats to be found in your home or garden.
But with all those Easter treats, comes the risk of damage to your oral health.
Add family dinners, Easter brunches, and other celebrations of the holiday, and it only gets worse.
The good news is that Dr Sachdeva’s Dental Clinic can help make it a tooth-friendly Easter with seven quick tips!
Why Should I Care About Easter Candy?
Easter treats are overflowing with sugar. The average adult Australian should have between 25 grams (women) and 35 grams (men) of sugar in their diet – no more than 50 grams in any case.
Easter candies can blow by this recommendation in almost no time.
Here are a few examples:
- One chocolate covered Peep (28-grams) has 14 grams of sugar. If you eat one serving of small yellow peeps you get a whopping 34 grams of sugar – basically the entire recommended sugar for an adult man in a day!
- Lindt Chocolate Bunny. First, the “serving’ size here is half a bunny! Which comes in at 25 grams of sugar. But you’ll probably eat the whole bunny, and have a shocking 50 grams of sugar.
- Peanut butter chocolate eggs – 20 to 32 grams of sugar
- Ten large jellybeans. 20 grams of sugar.
A handful of jellybeans and a chocolate bunny and you’ve more than doubled your suggested sugar intake for the day. If those Easter baskets stick around in the house, it gets worse every day.
To avoid this, Dr Sachdeva’s Dental Clinic has seven suggestions.
Our seven suggestions!
- Try ‘Treat o’clock’. Sweets and chocolates are pretty likely to be around at Easter, but you can minimise their damage by eating sweets at specific and limited times, such as after meals as dessert. Constant snacking throughout the day dramatically expands your teeth’s exposure to sugar and never allows your saliva the chance to “re-harden” your tooth enamel.
- Be careful of biting/chewing. Sticky and hard sweets can pull out fillings, get stuck between your teeth, and crack teeth or dental treatments! They also keep sugar on your teeth for a more extended period, making damage more likely.
- Come to the Dark Side (Of chocolate!). Dark chocolate often contains less sugar than other chocolate options as well as healthy contents like flavonoids and coffee bean husks.
- Water it down! Drink lots of water when eating Easter treats. Rinsing with water washes away excess sugar in the mouth.
- Treat your teeth. Most likely your teeth will be exposed to rich treats during the Easter period, which makes it a great time to visit your Wantirna South dentist for a cleaning. And, if you happen to have teeth that poke out like a rabbit’s teeth? We offer convenient and effective straightening!
- Stock Easter Baskets with non-candy choices. These non-candy ideas can help harness a child’s energy without overwhelming them with a sugar rush.
- Art Supplies. Markers, stickers, glue, and paper are great staples to start with.
- This time of year, pipe cleaner chicks, paper plate bunnies, and woven paper Easter baskets are everywhere. Consider involving your child in an Easter-related activity. TheThey will keep their teeth healthy and build their creativity and motor skills.
- Even a new toothbrush, perhaps a colourful electric one!
- Avoid too much alcohol. Alcohol often contains hidden sugars and even dark colours that stain your teeth. But it can also lead to dehydration if you drink too much of it, which slows your saliva production, something your enamel depends on for protection.
And when the Easter holidays are over, it’s a great time to think about your dental health and appearance.
Not only can Dr Sachdeva’s Dental Clinic help you with cavities, but if you have teeth that you think resemble those of a bunny, perhaps too much? We have great cosmetic options as well.
Convenient, Competent Care at Dr Sachdeva’s Dental Clinic
Dr Sachdeva’s Dental Clinic is conveniently located on Stud Road near Burwood Highway in Wantirna South. We are on public transport lines and offer free and convenient parking.
Dr Sachdeva’s Dental Clinic offers late afternoon and early evening hours, emergency treatment, and you can contact us by phone or on our convenient online contact form.
If you are looking for a dental surgery at which the dentist takes time to determine your concerns and desires, and who makes decisions based on what you want, then our office is the one for you.
Our technology is unsurpassed including “One-stop” Cerec restoration and SNAP Dental Imaging Software. Our training is similarly top-notch.
We know the difference a relaxing atmosphere and compassionate staff can have on your dental experience, and we take the time to get to know all of our patients on a personal level.
Wantirna South dentist also serving local communities in Knox City, Boronia, Bayswater, Scoresby, Rowville, Ferntree Gully, Vermont, Vermont South, Burwood, Burwood East, Ringwood, Ringwood East, and Wantirna.
Same-day dental emergency for immediate attention