However, if you have never worn dentures (full or partial), before, you may wonder what they are, what they do, what is the process to get them, how they should be taken care of, and what can you expect if you get them?
Sachdeva Dental is here to answer all your questions with our ultimate guide to new dentures.
Why do I need dentures?
Dentures not only restore the appearance of your smile, the function of chewing, and protect against damage to other teeth but they also provide support to your cheek and lips, and correct the appearance of a sagging or collapsed face.
Here is a short list of what dentures offer:
- The ability to chew your food better.
- They support your gums and cheeks, keeping your face from looking ‘collapsed’.
- Dentures allow you to eat a broader range of food including all the food groups.
- Dentures are not subject to cavities.
Getting your dentures
Getting dentures normally takes between two and four dental appointments.
The first appointment is for consultation and recommendation. In the case that you have existing teeth that cannot be saved, extraction of those teeth will be necessary.
Your dentist will take impressions of your remaining teeth and send them to a dental laboratory, which will manufacture a custom tray designed to get an even more precise mould of your teeth. This mould is used to construct your dentures.
When the dentures are manufactured, they are then fitted and assessed for comfort and fit. Finally, you will be given instructions on their use and care.
Conventional dentures from your Wantirna dentist are removable. They are constructed of teeth and gum-like materials designed to be worn on top of the gums.
Today, however, more structurally sound options exist with the use of dental implants, which help create stronger fortifications for the placement of full or partial dentures. Which type of denture is best for you is best determined by consultation with your dentist.
Adapting to dentures
Once your denture is in place, it may feel strange. This is entirely normal, and your mouth, tongue and facial muscles will adapt. Everyday tasks such as speaking and eating may require a bit of initial adjustment, but your dentist can advise you on products that will help you feel more confident while wearing dentures.
It may only take a few months from your first appointment to the day where you’ll feel entirely at ease with your dentures. Once you’re fully fitted with your new dentures, you are ready to enjoy life to the full, with a restored smile, restored chewing ability, and support for your face that might make you look years younger…
Here is a brief overview of what you can expect in the first month after receiving your dentures.
- Day 1: Your diet is limited to soft foods like puddings, mashed potatoes, and ice cream.
- Day 2 to 14: As your mouth adjusts to the new dentures; you may have increased salivation. Sometimes, sore spots develop. Warm salt water rinses can help, but if soreness continues, return to Sachdeva Dental for an adjustment. It is normal to have longer denture adjustments and healing times if tooth extraction was necessary or you get complete dentures.
- Day 15 to 29: In these two weeks you learn to eat and talk normally. During this time you may start to use a denture adhesive to improve the feel and fit of your dentures.
- Day 30: After about a month, you should be able to get back to most of your favourite activities.
- At Any Point: If your discomfort does not decrease during the 30-day adjustment period, please see us, and we will check the fit of your dentures.
Convenient, Competent Care in Wantirna South
Dr Sachdeva’s dental clinic is conveniently located on Stud Road near Burwood Highway in Wantirna South. We are close to public transport lines and offer free and convenient parking.
We offer late afternoon and early evening hours, emergency treatment, and we can be contacted by phone or through our convenient online contact form.
If you are looking for a dental surgery where the dentist cares about your concerns, your desires, and who makes decisions based on what you indicate, then our office is the one for you.
Our technology is unsurpassed including “One-stop” Cerec restoration and SNAP Dental Imaging Software.
Our training is similarly top-notch.
We understand the difference a compassionate staff and relaxing atmosphere can make in your dental experience, and we take the time to get to know all of our patients on a personal level.
Visit your Wantirna South dentist today!
We are located at 287 Stud Road in Wantirna South.