The holidays are the perfect time for family and friends to come together and celebrate. But those celebrations often center around food, and particularly sugar-rich food. Unfortunately, sugar-rich foods and drinks can be damaging to both your dental and general health.
The holiday season could be called the Sugar Season or even the Tooth Decay Season. At Dr. Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery, we can help you get through this season without suffering an increase in dental problems.
How Do Sweet Foods and Drinks Harm Your Teeth?
Sugary food or drinks are food for the bacteria naturally found
in your mouth. Feeding the bacteria leads to acids as a result. The acids, which last in your mouth for 30 minutes, wear down tooth enamel and increase the risk of tooth decay as well as many other dental issues, including gingivitis.
Dr. Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery Can Help
The friendly professionals at Dr. Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery have suggestions about how to take care of your oral health while also maintaining your overall health. By following them you can ensure your mouth, teeth, and gums stay healthy through the holidays.
Holiday Dental Strategies
- Bend the rules now and then: This may seem counter-intuitive, but no one is perfect. Our holiday suggestions are good for your health, but it is better to indulge just a little than to give up entirely. So, during the holidays, if you are going to “break the rules”? Break them in a small way. Have one cookie, not six!
- Make less sticky choices: Sugar-related problems occur if a sugary coating remains on your teeth. By choosing goodies that don’t stick to your teeth reduces the risk of tooth damage, particularly if brushing afterwards is impractical.
- Don’t neglect flossing and brushing: Brush twice a day and floss before bed. This is the minimum and you should never deviate from that schedule. Brushing should take at least two minutes and should be done with proper technique (ask your dentist!). Hum tune or listen to a song while you brush to time it, or use an electronic toothbrush with a timer built-in.
- Carry oral hygiene tools with you: At the holiday, sugary sweets are everywhere. So pick up extra toothbrushes and mini-tubes of toothpaste for everyone in your family to carry. Get some trial size packages of mouthwash and dental floss and you are prepared for anything.
- Reduce caffeine and alcohol intake: Drinking caffeine in the morning and alcohol at night can lead to sugar cravings. During the holidays be sure to control your intake of these drinks, because that can help you control your craving for sweets.
- Make a dental appointment for after the holidays: Make an appointment at Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery for early in January. Get a cleaning and check up after the month of December to make sure everything is shipshape. Don’t let a small dental problem from 2016 become a big one in the New Year!
Your Trusted Dentist in Wantirna South
If you are looking for a trusted and qualified dental practice in Wantirna South, please visit us at Dr. Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery. We offer a comprehensive range of dental services and use the latest technology to offer exceptional dental care for the holiday season and your life!
Dr. Sachdeva’s Dental Surgery is located on Stud Road, Wantirna South, and proudly serves the local community with a priority of delivering quality oral health in a professional, comfortable and convenient clinic setting.
Wantirna South dentist also serving local communities in Knox City, Boronia, Bayswater, Scoresby, Rowville, Ferntree Gully, Vermont, Vermont South, Burwood, Burwood East, Ringwood, Ringwood East, and Wantirna.
#1. Book online now
#2. Call (03) 9800 2338
#3. Visit us at 287 Stud Road in Wantirna South