Dental restorations save your teeth from developing damages that can affect your oral health.
Inlays and onlays replace lost or damaged tooth parts with artificial materials that have biological, physical, and functional characteristics like that of natural teeth.
They serve the same goal as dental fillings, crowns and bridges. They are used to repair/restore a tooth, typically damage by infection or breakage.
Inlays are used to replace a small amount of tooth structure loss due to decay. Inlays can fit inside the tooth.
Onlays also fit inside the tooth but may extend to the chewing surface of a back tooth to replace one or more cusps.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
Here are the benefits of having inlays and onlays:
- Minimal removal of enamel is required
- They last longer than the other restorations like dental fillings
- They do not expand and move around not like fillings when exposed to temperature changes
- They are more resistant to stain compared to other dental restorations
The Inlay and Onlay Procedure
Receiving inlays and/or onlays for your tooth usually takes two dental appointments.
- Once your Wantirna South dentist has assessed that you are qualified for the treatment, the affected tooth is then prepared.
- The affected parts of the tooth are removed, and the tooth is properly cleaned.
- Your Wantirna South dentist takes impressions of the tooth, which are sent to a dental laboratory for fabrication.
- A temporary restoration is placed to protect the tooth while your inlay/onlay is being manufactured.
- During your next appointment, the finished direct composite resin is bonded and fitted into place.
Dental Restorations in Wantirna South
If you have one or multiple teeth that are damaged or infected by a cavity, Dr Sachdeva’s dental clinic can fix it with custom-made, lifelike dental restorations, like inlays and onlays.
Call us on (03) 9800 2338 or book your appointment online.
We are located at 287 Stud Road in Wantirna South.