Every 4th Wednesday of October, Dr Sachdeva’s dental clinic celebrates National Children’s Week.
The goal of Children’s Week is to raise awareness about the importance of oral health for our kids.
Practising good dental hygiene habits while young and keeping regular visits to the dentist helps our children get a good start on a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
Optimal Oral Health for Children
During early years, healthy oral care habits lay the groundwork for children to carry into their teens and adult years.
Here are some ways to not only give them the best care as babies but to help them build healthy habits as children and teens:
- Brush your child’s teeth at least twice daily, using small circular motions. Children’s teeth should be cleaned after eating and before bed using fluoride toothpaste suitable for children, which can help strengthen the teeth enamel and prevent decay.
- Get into a regular toothbrushing routine, and give your child plenty of praise when they brush their teeth properly.
- Replace toothbrushes or toothbrush heads every 3 months, when already worn or frayed, or when they just recovered from an illness.
- Supervise or guide children with their toothbrushing until they are at least 7 years old.
- When they begin brushing by themselves, check every few days to ensure they are doing it properly.
- Bring your child in for dental check-ups twice a year.
- Make sure your child eats a healthy, balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Try to limit acidic and sweet foods and drinks consumption.
- As your child’s permanent teeth erupt, you should make your Wantirna South dentist aware of any teeth or jaw misalignment. We will advise if corrective treatment is required.
How Dr Sachdeva Can Help
It is recommended that children have their first dental visit by 12 months of age.
At this visit, the teeth and mouth are examined, and the child’s risk for cavities is assessed.
Parents can expect to talk with the dentist about recommendations in terms of diet, oral hygiene, fluoride exposure, and preventing dental injuries.
Child Dental Benefits Schedule in Wantirna South
Bulk Bill for eligible children
Up to $1,026 worth of dental treatments over two years
We are located at 287 Stud Road in Wantirna South.